Friday, October 24

And while yet in my flesh...

Now I can say with Isaiah, "Woe is me, for my eyes have seen the glory of the Lord."

It was magnificent!

Of course, it had to be one of the coldest nights since I've been in Columbus! J. couldn't come with me (sadness) so I took the bus downtown just for hoots :-) There were plenty of hoots to be had! There were these three black girls laughing and joking all the way down High Street. It took all I could to stop myself laughing along with them. That would have been just plain rude :-p

I get off the bus, walk across the street and bang! There's the club, with a huge line already outside the door! It's 9.50pm and the line already stretches 1/4 way down the block. I zip up my leather jacket and settle in to wait. A blue Geo drives slowly by, the window rolls down and a bearded face pops out...."Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssstoooooo!!!!!" Everyone in line chuckles at him as the Geo pulls around the corner and into the parking lot.

The line starts to move and we get in the club pretty soon. The interior is immaculate, a clean red and black colour scheme, an open plan interior with unobtrusive balconies and (the true sign of a great club) a DJ box visible from all corners of the club. Oh yes. Clean bathrooms! That blew my mind :-p

The warmup DJ's soon start spinning their stuff, first up was DJ Quantum I bet; playing chunky, funky house. Think Carl Cox with some of the edge taken off, toe-tapping, head nodding stuff all the same. The dancefloor is quickly crowded, but with people standing around and watching. No one is dancing yet. Seems they're saving their energy. Mark Mayhem comes on and begins to pump up the energy, playing some hard trance/hard house, energetic, hard nasty beats and it begins to get the crowd moving. The glowsticks come out and I make a move onto the dance floor.

The crowd's up for it; rave kids, yuppie metrosexual types, some clueless frat types, and a core of dedicated Tiesto fans t-shirts and laser message writers in hand. I even saw a small Dutch flag being waved at one point. Everyone's just waiting for Tijs to come out and the energy is palpable.

Midnight rolls around. Tiesto steps into the DJ box. The roar from the crowd is unbelievable! Hands up, flashes popping, people jumping up and down and screaming their heads off, chanting, "Ti-es-to! Ti-es-to!" and the man himself is just lapping it up, smiling and laughing as usual as he slaps on his first record. The crowd goes wild. The night has just begun. For the next 3 hours he had the entire crowd of 500 (?) by the balls. He played it hard, he played it deep, he played it nasty and most of all, he gave us what we wanted. Motorcycle- as the rush comes ? Yeah i got that. You want to hear my new single Traffic? Sure! How about an golden oldie, Radiohead- Street Spirit, just for kicks? It was one of the most intense events I've ever experienced. It was like I couldn't stop dancing even if I tried, he had us all in his spell, caught in a web of energy that just wouldn't let go. And when Tiesto started dancing with us as well, oh man, it just got louder, hotter and more energetic...

Trance is truly a spiritual thing

The DJ is a modern day shaman

The dance floor is the new church.

Perhaps.

All I know is, when a DJ I love and respect is on the turntables, I'm in ecstasy.

In Trance We Trust.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home